Powder Coating Procedures
Powder Coating procedures for exterior and interior structural components.
- Inspect product for defects or imperfections, repair as required
- Blast product (galvanized or bare steel) to 0.75 – 1.5 mil. Profile in accordance with SSPC-SP-10 (NACE 2 – near white metal blast) for bare steel, SSPC-SP-7 (NACE 4 – Brush off blast) for galvanized steel.
- Pre heat oven to 450° F.
- Mask off threads, machined surfaces, and anywhere else required.
- Blow off product with compressed air.
- Put product in oven for pre-bake.
- Pre-bake product at 450 F. Verify product temperature is 375 F across entire product before applying primer.
- Remove product from oven and apply 2.5 — 3.5 mils. of Zinc rich epoxy primer as per powder manufactures specifications onto the hot product so it melts on contact.
- Let product cool between 125° F and 175° F
- Apply 2.5 — 3.5 mil. Topcoat as per powder manufactures specifications.
- Put product in oven at 425° – 435° F until entire substrate has fallen into the specified curing window as per powder manufacturer.
- Remove from oven for cool down, inspection, de-masking and unloading.
- Wrap and bundle product.
- All procedures and work will be done in-house in a controlled environment. This will safeguard against any out side contamination. (Flash rusting, road contaminants etc. caused by transportation and weather).
Click Here for PDF